I love salsa! Thus, after a little bit of google and loads of reading, I came up with my version of salsa. This was my first attempt and it wasn’t bad at all. Besides, it’s healthy, fresh and goes with everything!
Before we start, here are some important things to note:
A) DO NOT peel the tomatoes. The skin is what actually gives the dish texture
B) It is very important to roast tomatoes to bring out all the flavours.
C) It is a versatile dish so you can add or leave out some ingredients depending on how you like it.
1-2 tomatoes, halved
1 to 2 medium onion
1 small garlic clove, crushed, optional
1 – 2 tablespoon of lemon juice
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
White vinegar, optional
White Sugar, optional
Cumin powder, optional
REMEMBER: It’s a versatile dish so you can add or leave out stuff according to your preference.
1) Place the tomatoes on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
2) Sprinkle them with a little salt and cumin powder
3) Roast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes. You can roast the tomatoes on the stove top as well. Roasting is important as it brings out all the flavour in the tomatoes. I did burn mine slightly but it made no difference to the taste
2) Place the roasted tomatoes in the food processor along with the remaining ingredients. I added extra onions and chillies to make it more spicy. I skipped the vinegar and added a little bit of sugar instead to give it a nice punch
3) Run the food processor for about 3-5 minutes or until everything is well blended.
4) Give it a taste test and add more lemon juice or onions…whatever suits your taste buds.
5) Pop it in the fridge for about an hour
6) Here is the finished product
I love Mexican food so I have been looking for Masa Harina since forever. So when I saw this, I was like that’s it! This was the answer to my prayers. Boy I was wrong, very wrong. It’s the white variety which doesn’t taste as good as the yellow corn one. Not worth the 16 Dhs I paid for it.
To test it out, I made these mini tortillas and they turned out better than I expected.
Here is a picture of my mid day snack 😀
TIP: Works amazing well for Bruschetta apparently! Add mozzarella cheese to make it even better. It’s horribly fattening though 😛
DISCLAIMER: I don’t claim to be an expert. This is merely my way of making the dish. I will not be held responsible for any of your kitchen disasters.